If you have a busy working lifestyle it can often be difficult to find time to keep fit and healthy. After a day of working 9 to 5, you may not feel like slogging it out at the gym. The prices of gym memberships are also high and unaffordable for many people. Well, the team here at The Workplace Depot have come up with an easy and cheap way to work out in the workplace using a humble piece of office equipment.
The Kick Step is a small stool used to stand on when trying to get to high up, out of reach items. These step stools are often used in offices, warehouses and are commonly seen on the shop floor of supermarket chains as they are used by staff to replenish stock. Well now, these little steps are having a makeover and could become the latest trend in fitness equipment! The multi-functional Kickalong steps can be used to do a variety of different exercises, and its compact nature allows you to do it whilst you are in the workplace. It is a very efficient and very convenient way to get fit for busy business people.
Here is our selection of five exercises to do with your stepping stool:
1. The clue is in the name, kick step. You can use it as a stepping device to do step exercises. By stepping up onto the stool with both feet and stepping down again you are undertaking cardio vascular exercise. You can repeat this fast or slowly for as you can manage and do a variety of steps as you go. You can move side to side as well as up and down on the step stool, and if you want to challenge yourself even more then you can incorporate arm movements too. The design of the kickalong is such that the pressure of your body weight upon the step fixes it into place so it will not slip over, providing you with a safe tool to use.
2. The second exercise that you can do with this product is a one armed press up. This isn’t for the faint hearted as it is a difficult manoeuvre (we suggest practising on the floor first). By placing one arm on the stool you can lower your body towards the ground until your elbow is at a right angle, before you slowly and carefully straighten your arm again. Why not buy two kick-steps and you can do a two armed press up!
3. Similar to the press up is a one arm stand. To do this, lay sideways on the floor with your hand on the steppy. Lift yourself up using your arm and extend your free arm into the air to point at the ceiling. Hold this position for as long as you like and then swap arms. This exercise improves core strength and posture.
4. The two main step stools in our range are the Steppy and the Kikalong. The Steppy is a plastic stool whereas the Kikalong is made from steel. Both these products weigh different amounts so you can use either of them for a gentle or extensive weights workout. You can lift the product with both hands into the air and swing it downwards, bending your knees as you do so, like you would with a kettle bell, to give your muscles an effective workout. You can also lift them with one arm out to one side, repeating several times and then swapping arms.
5. The final work out suggestion is squats. Firstly, you place your hands on the step stool behind you and extend your arms. Carefully lower your body so that your arms are at a 90 degree angle and gently push back up again. Repeat this as many time as you can to help build arms and leg muscles.
So there we have it, our quick and easy keep fit guide that you can do in the workplace with your trusty kickalong step! Look out for the kickstep fitness DVD coming to shops soon…!
To see our full range of step stools, click here.